Thursday, November 13, 2008

the voice...



The whistle sounded. The people on the platform started moving to my right. They were all moving in the same way. Only I sat still... in the train. I looked at them pass by and I smiled.

I am 28 years old; I feel forty though. I have had a good life, neither too great, nor too bad... just like you. Yes, I am an ordinary woman, with curves and flats in the wrong places and lots of bad hair days too. I work in one of those nondescript schools: a nondescript teacher. I write occasionally, but my ‘art’ remains hidden in my diary. Soon, I’ll be the nondescript wife of a nondescript guy and be part of a nondescript family in a nondescript place. Life...

I took a book; flipped its pages. And my mind drifted...
***
It was a cloudy evening. The wind was strong, and I could get an occasional whiff of the salty air from the sea. I love such days. I was standing on my balcony, watching the trees dance. And that was when I saw the dog. He looked like a stray dog, but he had a black collar around his neck. Why I noticed him was because of the happiness he seemed to exude. He was happiness... from the top of his head to the tip of his short tail. And he was smiling... no, I am not exaggerating. I could even say he was laughing, the way his tongue was lolling out, and the way he was prancing. I heard a man’s voice. “Patch!” The dog ran to meet him, whoever he was...
And somehow I remember thinking of that voice... again and again...
***
Two days passed. It was raining heavily that day. I love watching the rain. I love listening to it too. I was gazing out of my window, when I saw the dog...again. It jumped out of a car and ran across the street. A truck came, rounded the corner... A tall man stepped out of the car, wearing a long coat. His face was covered by a muffler. He ran to where the dog lay...dead. I heard his voice. “Patch...” I cried that day... for the happy dog... and for that voice.
***
I saw the car several more times, but I never saw him for the longest time. Four months after the dog died, I was watering my plants when my mother’s old college mate knocked. She had come to invite us for her son’s marriage.
***
I wore blue silk for the wedding. It was the first time I was meeting the groom. I took one look at him, and I somehow felt... no, I knew... it was whom the voice belonged to. And then, when he spoke to me, I was sure of it. His wife was not too pretty, but she had a lovely smile.
***
“Falling in love is not a flash decision. It is something you do after a lot of thought,” I had heard myself say to my friends over and over again. But I fell in love with a voice, a voice which had uttered a single word, that too not to me... the voice of a man who had called out to a stray dog so lovingly..had made it laugh...

I move on... I'll never forget the voice though...
Life...

12 comments:

Anamika said...

somehow i dont know wat to say to this...it has touched chords...somewhere....where it mattered....

The Mind Bedouin said...

:::dear vrinda:::
i m glad u felt wat i felt too.. but i couldnt even put it in as many words as you... but doesnt this happen.. however occasional it may be.. that somebody touches a chord somewher.. and the touch remains unforgotten, even though you move on? ...
thanks for what you said though.. meant a lot...especially since i usually dabble in poetry more.. :)

man in painting said...

Sorry I am late..you have a very good blog here..i liked the way you write..somehow you know how to hit at the right areas..
love to read more from you..
keep writing
wishes..
did you read my "rain" stuff..
welcome..
mip

Anamika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anamika said...

surprise!! :)

http://mywordshop.blogspot.com/2008/11/flutter-byes.html

Sandeep Balan said...

oh my god...such a poignant piece...the way you switched between past and present was commendable..and your description of the events flawless...it really touched me deep within...such simplicity...hats off! keep writing yaar...you have taken a loooooooooong break...we want more posts..demand...he he!

Sonal Dhiman said...

ahh! n thats an exclamation made after one sees their thoughts reflected in the right words, on paper.
kudos to the writing here.
simple and charismatic.
attracts and captures attention..
u do great justice to writing prose as well.

The Mind Bedouin said...

:::dear mip:::
sorry i am late as well! and thanks for all that you said... and i did read your "rain"... liked it much.. love to read more from you too... keep coming to meet up!

The Mind Bedouin said...

:::dear sandeep:::
woah... are you a born flatterer or did my writing really deserve all that? cos if it did, let me tell you that you put me on cloud nine... thanks so much! keep coming!!

The Mind Bedouin said...

:::dear sonal:::
the first thing that came to my mind to tell you was what i had alredy told sandeep. really... thank you for the support... it really helps people like me!

and hey.. why dont you start writing... would love to read your creations!

expresso said...

hey dear, this was the most touching piece, i felt. meeting the 'right' guy at the wrong time....worst thing to happen, man! "not too pretty" wife, haha, how typically female.

The Mind Bedouin said...

:::dear espresso:::
sorry for the long delay!! i am guessing this is ur first visit to my blog... thanks for ur comment... it s great to find new faces !!! and ya... nice blog!!